Monday, August 22, 2011

Pincushion and Hot Babe

Planning the trip was an extensive process.  In addition to contacting co-workers, friends, and acquaintances who had contacts in other parts of the world, I had to think of the health problems and other issues I would encounter en route.  In many of the areas where I planned to go, medical services and supplies would not be available.  I would have to carry first aid equipment with me.  I had to beprepared should I have an accident and be unconscious,  if I were bitten by a poisonous snake or eat spoiled food or be bitten by some insect that carried a noxious disease.  I even had to write a will and arrange for my body to be returned to the US should I die in some unexpected disaster.  I developed a close relationship with my personal physician and lawyer, preparing for untold emergencies. Six months before I left, my arms felt like pin cushions. I had had every shot in the book so that if I had a bad reaction I would have time to recover.  Then, just before I actually left I had a round of “boosters”.  The doctor had also suggested that during the weeks before my departure, I not be too careful about washing my hands too much or eating with silverware that had dropped on the floor so that my immunity to the common germs would be well developed.
Arranging financing for the trip was another major undertaking!  There was no such thing as a credit card or an “ ATM”.  There were traveller’s checks, but no one was sure they would be accepted out of the mainstream of tourist travel and anyway, you had to purchase them to begin with.  Although I had some savings, my checks would be arriving on a biweekly basis throughout the year, and I didn’t have the reserves to make such a large outlay.  The president of the bank where I had my checking account came to my rescue, suggesting that he prepare a “letter of credit” that would allow me to go any international bank and get money in the currency of that country.  He would attach it to my checking account so that I could have a ready source of money, and my secretary would deposit my checks each pay period.  He then arranged for me sign two notes, so that if I needed additional money, or my bank account ran low, additional funds would be available.   And, he would not initiate a loan until I needed it.  The idea of two loans was so that I would not have to borrow more money than necessary at any one time.  He would not date the second note until I needed money.  That way, interest payments could be minimized.   I will be forever grateful to that bank executive!  He watched over my finances the whole three years, always keeping me financially solvent! 
I also needed to carry a sizable amount of “emergency” cash on me.  Common knowledge said that thieves were too well aware of carrying cash in a pouch between the breasts for that to be a viable alternative.   Instead, I made two little pouches to snap into the cups of my bra, and carried $1000 in hundred dollar bills as breast supports!  Great idea?  Yes, but  American currency doesn’t breathe – and I was often one “hot babe”!
This whole process was quite exhausting!  Never before had I been forced to think of all the eventualities that might befall me in the process of daily life, and come up with possible responses.   I have to admit that, at times, it was a little intimidating!  And I haven’t even mentioned determining my itinerary or getting visas, etc!







No comments:

Post a Comment